You Talk It. We Live It host Ellen Quale talks with Amalgamated Transit Union 757 (ATU 757) President Shirley Block about the ATU’s work during the pandemic and their fight for fair pay and benefits, a safe, secure working environment and democracy in the workplace.
Listen to ATU757 President Shirley Block
ATU 757 organizes public transit workers in Oregon and Southern Washington.
Here are 5 interesting facts about unions:
- Union members earn better wages and benefits than workers who aren’t union members. On average, union workers’ wages are 19% higher than their nonunion counterparts.
- More than 75% of union workers have jobs that provide health insurance benefits, but less than half of nonunion workers do.
- Unions help bring more working people into the middle class. In fact, in states where people don’t have union rights, workers’ incomes are lower.
- Working people in a union are five times more likely to participate in an employer-provided pension plan than working people without a union.
- Unions help employers create a more stable, productive workforce—where workers have a say in improving their jobs.